Thursday, February 26, 2009

Searching for the mythical YouTube 'remix' lawsuit

I've made the point before that, while bogus DMCA takedowns on YouTube no doubt occur, the number of such errors (either deliberate or intentional), which get plenty of attention, pale in comparison to the vast numbers of totally legitimate removals that go almost completely unmentioned.

In a post about Warner Music Group's implementation of YouTube's "Content ID" system, EFF further confirms the scope of the "problem" of copyright owners' allegedly hyperaggressive effort to stamp out web-video piracy. How many lawsuits have those overzealous content owners brought over kids (or adults, for that matter) posting mashups, remixes, or other arguable fair uses to YouTube? A thousand? A hundred? Ten? How about zero! Says EFF Staff Attorney Corynne McSherry:
[W]e’re not aware of any content owner ever suing an individual YouTube user over a remix video.
Again, bogus DMCA takedown notices do exist, and all involved should work to minimize them. But bogus copyright lawsuits over amateur YouTube videos? Bigfoot sightings are more common.

1 comment:

  1. I can't even describe how irritating the copyright claims on YouTube have been lately especially when it is possible for your video to be blocked once it is uploaded even if it is an original song that you have made. This has happened to me multiple times. I have made a song (wrote my own lyrics, made my own beat, sang the song, and created a picture using photoshop as a still for the video) and have had my content blocked by organizations claiming to be the copyright owners although the song is an original production by me. YouTube already has the issue with remixing a song and uploading it but I do not understand why my work must be removed without as much as a notification.

    ReplyDelete

Comments here are moderated. I appreciate substantive comments, whether or not they agree with what I've written. Stay on topic, and be civil. Comments that contain name-calling, personal attacks, or the like will be rejected. If you want to rant about how evil the RIAA and MPAA are, and how entertainment companies' employees and attorneys are bad people, there are plenty of other places for you to go.

 
http://copyrightsandcampaigns.blogspot.com/